Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Polish Food Challenge



Having been raised in the Buffalo/WNY area, which has a distinctive Polish flavor, sadly I have never really embraced the cuisine. Over the years, I've tried a few of the mandatory staples lovingly handmade by friends from recipes handed down in their families for generations - such as golabki (tomato-flavored ground beef wrapped in cabbage leaves; pierogi (boiled, baked or fried dumplings stuffed with potato filling, ground meat, fruit or cheese), cruschiki (friend bow tie pastry/cookies, kielbasa (polish sausage). I have never attempted to make Polish food myself and this is today's challenge. 

Christmastime, and especially Easter, is when Polish food dominates in the Buffalo area. If you live here, it is mandatory at Easter to go to the Broadway Market, famed for it's ethnic old world shopping and comprised of family-owned, family operated butcher shops, poultry stands and bakeries. Over 120 years old, it served immigrants who flocked to the east side of Buffalo in the late 1800's looking for a continuation of their old world customs in their new and unfamiliar environment.  

I would like to add that I look forward to planning the family's next meal with great enthusiasm. I am not, however, steeped in patience. When my friends speak of preparing Polish dishes for the holidays, they speak in terms of days not hours or minutes. Also, my son, is not a fan of cabbage...really not a fan of cabbage, thereby limiting further my recipe choices. Also, I cook for 3 and try not to have leftovers, so all my recipes will be scaled for 4 people (because my husband will eat enough for 2!) 

Tonight for dinner I have chosen Pieczen Huzarska (Hussar Roast) and Placki Ziemniaczana (Potato Pancakes), neither of which appear too daunting and for which I had all of the ingredients except the roast already on hand.

I have to admit I was scared to death. My husband was out for the day and my 10 year old can talk himself out of liking anything before he even tries it. He asked what we were having for dinner and I replied, "steak," which we don't eat often, so I figured I was safe. He asked if we had steak sauce and I said he didn't need any. Thus began the whining... Right before we ate, I gave him a spoonful of the gravy to taste and he couldn't have his dinner plated fast enough. It was a bit salty for my taste, so in the future, I'll cut back on the salt for sure. I will absolutely make this again, perhaps not in 80 degree weather, as it is very hearty and sticks to your ribs. But during the bitter cold Buffalo winter, I can't think of any dish I would rather eat.

Thank you Poland. Thank you Ted for suggesting Polish food for my first ethnic blogpost. Thank you readers. I look forward to your comments, your yelling at me that I'm not doing it right, or anything else you have to say or suggest. It's my nephew's birthday party tomorrow, so no cooking being done here, but stop back in a couple of days and see what I have planned!!!If you make this dish, please please please, let me know!


Please visit the TIPS page for how to keep your potatoes from turning dark.

Hussar Roast / Pieczen Huzarska

Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup vinegar or vodka
  • 1 beef round rump roast, boneless
  • or round tip roast (1.5 lbs)
  • 1/2 cup of all purpouse flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1/8 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 large onion, quartered
  • 1/2 cup bouillon or meat stock (Minors)
  • Stuffing:
  • 1/2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 medium onions minced
  • 1/8 cup fine dried bread crumbs
  • 1 small egg, beaten

How to make it

  • 1. Heat vinegar just to boiling in a large casserole or skillet. Add meat, turning to scald all sides. Drain meat and discard vinegar.
  • 2. Mix flour, salt, pepper (reserve 2 tbsp of seasoned flour) Coat meat with seasoned flour
  • 3. Brown meat in butter in dutch oven or heavy skillet. Add quartered onion and boullion. Cover simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
  • 4. Slice meat about 1 inch thick, then slit each slice making a pocket.
  • 5. For stuffing melt butter, Saute minced onion or until transparent. Stir in bread crumbs and 1 tbsp seasoned flour. Remove from heat stir in egg.
  • 6. Stuff crumb mixture into pockets in meat. close and skewer with wooden picks. Tie together with string in original roast shape. Sprinkle with remaining tbsp seasoned flour cover: cook over medium low heat for 30 mins



Potato Pancakes / Placki Ziemniaczane

Serves 4 

(SEE TIPS FOR HOW TO KEEP YOUR POTATOES FROM TURNING DARK)

Ingredients

  • 3 medium peeled and finely grated potatoes
  • 1/2 medium finely grated onion
  • 1 large egg
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • about 1/8 cup flour

How to make it

  • 1. Mix potatoes, onion, egg, salt and pepper.  Add enough flour to bind the mixture together but leaving it still somewhat thin.
  • 2. In a large heavy skillet set over medium heat, add enough vegetable oil to come to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Heat until hot but not smoking.
  • 3. Drop tablespoonfuls of potato mixture into the skillet and spread out into a 3" circle, about 1/4 inch think. Fry until brown on the bottom (it will stick if it isn't brown enough) about 3-5 minutes, reducing heat to medium, if needed, to prevent burning.
  • 4. Turn and fry the other side 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Serves with granulated sugar or sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment