Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Brazilian Food Challenge



Busy, busy, busy!!! So much going on this time of summer and since I'm in Buffalo, NY and the weather is rarely this gorgeous for such a long stretch, we HAVE to make the most of it. Graduation parties, trips to the beach, fossil hunting, have all taken the front seat to cooking this past week. I'm supposed to be in the pool with the family right now, but I feel so guilty for not having posted in a week, so this is going to be short and sweet and a must have for your arsenal.

I finally had a chance to make Brazilian Brigadeiro's for a friend's child's graduation party over the weekend. 10 minutes to make and oooo were they a hit. I needed to make a triple batch at least. Teenagers were following me around as I was trying to make sure everybody got to try one. I was only able to lick the pan, but every guest who had one thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.

Brigadeiro's are a simple chocolate bonbon, created in the 1940's and named after Brigadier Eduardo Gomes, a Brazilian politician and revolutionary. Gomes ran for the presidency unsuccessfully in 1946 and 1950, during a time of shortage of imported nuts and fruits. At the same time Nestle was introducing its brand of chocolate powder and condensed milk into the country and this recipe highlights both. Traditionally Brigadeiros are served at birthday parties, but are also found at any type of party.

Can't say enough good things about the ease and taste of this recipe, since I am probably the worst baker on the planet. I used to blame in the stove, until I bought my first new one and proved myself wrong....

BRIGADEIROS

3 T cocoa powder or Nesquik
1 T butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk (or use recipe below)

1. Put all ingredients into a medium saucepan on the stove on medium and stir nonstop for 10 minutes, until the contents reach a fudge-like consistency, pulling away from the pan.

2. allow to cool to room temperature and then grease your hands with butter or margarine and roll into balls, then coat with chocolate, coconut, crushed peanuts, powdered sugar...whatever your hearts desire!

Eat at once or chill until ready to serve.

SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

3/4 C sugar
1/3 C water
4T butter

1. Cook in medium sauce pan until comes to a boil.

2. Put contents in a blender with 1 C powdered milk and blend until smooth. (equals 1 can)

No comments:

Post a Comment